Some of the other major initiatives taken by Indian Railways towards improvement in passenger amenities and cleanliness in trains are as follows :
- Upgradation of coaches including toilets in identified rakes of existing trains under Project Swarn and Project Utkrisht, and introduction of improved passenger services such as Humsafar trains and Antodaya trains.
- Provision of dustbins is being done in non AC coaches also in addition to the AC Coaches.
- iii. Provision of health faucets in all new AC and non-AC coaches, in addition to mug with chain arrangement.
- Pace of installation of Bio-toilets in Coaches has been intensified. It is planned to install bio-toilets in the entire BG coaching fleet of Indian Railways by 2019.
- Cleaning of coaches, including toilets, is done at both ends including mechanised cleaning through professional agencies at around 145 coaching depots.
- On Board Housekeeping Service (OBHS) has been provided in more than 1050 pairs of trains including Rajdhani, Shatabdi and other important long distance Mail/Express trains for cleaning of coach toilets, doorways, aisles and passenger compartments during the run of the trains.
- vii. ‘Coach Mitra’ facility has been introduced in about 1000 pairs of OBHS trains. ‘Coach Mitra’ is a single window interface to register coach related requirements of passengers such as cleaning, disinfection, linen, train lighting, air conditioning and watering of coaches.
- viii. To improve the quality of washing of bed linen, mechanized laundries have been set up at 57 locations in the railways.
- Pest control treatment of coaches and rodent control measures are regularly done as per schedule.