The fixtures for the ICC T20 World Cup Australia 2020 were revealed in Sydney, Australia on Tuesday morning. For the first time, the women’s and men’s T20 World Cups will be held as standalone events in the same year and in the same country.
“To hold two T20 World Cup finals at the world’s largest cricket stadium in front of 92,000 people is a particularly exciting prospect,” said David Richardson, ICC Chief Executive.
- A spectacular opening for the women’s T20 World Cup will be held at Sydney Showground Stadium featuring hosts and reigning champions Australia taking on India
- On the men’s side, hosts Australia will play the world’s top-ranked team, Pakistan, at the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) in the first Super 12 match of the tournament.
- Tickets for the Women’s T20 World Cup go on sale on 21 February 2019 and fans can register for early access to tickets at t20worldcup.com
- ICC’s Global Broadcast Partner, Star Sports and its licensees will provide live and highlight coverage for both the events across the world.
The 10 top women’s teams will contest 23 matches from 21 February – 8 March 2020
- The 16 best men’s teams will play 45 matches from 18 October – 15 November 2020
- Women’s and men’s tournaments to be played as standalone events, with both finals at the biggest cricket stadium in the world, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
- Women’s final at the MCG is an opportunity to set a new world record for attendance at a women’s sporting fixture.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: “Whenever we host an event in Australia we know we can guarantee the one billion cricket fans around the world a great show. The world’s best players. Outstanding venues. Noisy, passionate, knowledgeable fans. Exciting cricket. This is the perfect combination for a T20 World Cup and in 2020 we go one step further with two T20 World Cups in one year.”
The ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 will take place from 21 February – 8 March 2020, culminating in the final at the MCG on 8 March 2020, International Women’s Day. This presents a groundbreaking opportunity to set a new world record for attendance at a women’s sporting fixture.
The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 will take place later in the year, from 18 October to 15 November 2020. Hosts Australia will play the opening match of the Super 12 stage of the tournament on Saturday 24 October under lights at the SCG in a blockbuster match-up against the world’s top-ranked team, Pakistan.
COURTESY :- NEWS BHARATI